Wednesday, June 5, 2019

You've Been Warned

If you're a reader, you probably have a specific genre you like to read and some that you absolutely detest. I do. I love contemporary romance, but I can't stand historical romance. There are also certain things that turn me off a book that have nothing to do with the genre. For instance, I don't like when one of the main characters cheats on the other, and I'm not the only one. In fact, it's such a big deal for some readers that books often have disclaimers at the beginning to assure readers there is no cheating and the characters will get their happy ending.

That sounds like a spoiler right? I guess it is, but since cheating is a hard limit for some readers, authors have started warning them whether or not it's going to happen. And that's not the only warning authors are giving readers.

Many books these days contain reader advisories for everything from depictions of sexual assault to domestic violence. I'll admit when I first started seeing these warnings, I was put off. Most characters are keeping big secrets later revealed to the reader. Knowing what they were before I even read the first line of the book seemed like it would ruin the story for me. Then I started to give it serious thought.

We live in a time where we're more conscious of our mental health, and that's a good thing. It's something we need to foster and respect. A person who was the victim of sexual assault or domestic violence may not want to read about these subjects. What's more, she might not be in a place where it's safe for her to do so. It could trigger a setback in her recovery to be reminded of it.

Beyond that, sure a subject matter warning might be a bit of a spoiler, but I'v found it doesn't have to detract from enjoying the story. I can still have the same emotional reaction as I watch the main character navigate her trauma and learn to live in a new normal. Sure, I'm missing out on the shock of the big secret being revealed but a good enough story makes that incidental.

I applaud those authors who care enough about readers to warn them certain subjects might be upsetting. I'm also going to take a page out of their books, in the proverbial sense, and will now be letting my readers know about sensitive subjects ahead of time.

You've been warned, and I think we're all better for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment