Monday, March 21, 2011

A New Sense of Purpose

Last week, I told a rather long story about the demise of my relationship with my literary agent. Today, I think I'll keep it short and sweet.

At the time of my last post, the separation was just days old, and I was still adjusting to the idea. I figured it was just a matter of time before I moved from the anger to the depression stage of grief. Guess what?

I think I skipped the first four stages of the five stage grief process and jumped straight to the last stage of acceptance. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised with my reaction. I've been uncharacteristically calm at what I once considered could be the death of my dream. Instead of being angry, I feel not only a sense of relief but a renewed purpose. 

I've heard it said that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I first heard this phrase uttered by Olympia Dukasis' character in Steel Magnolias.  Since then, I've heard it many times from many people who attribute it to a wizened relative. No matter who said it, I think I can apply this same nugget of truth to this situation. Losing my literary agent hasn't killed me or my dream of being a published writer. It's made me and perhaps even my dream a bit stronger. I feel even more driven to achieve my dream and to do it in a way that best benefits me. Already, I've taken a few steps down that road, and I'm feeling oddly optimistic.

In the weeks and months to come, I'm confident I'll have good news. Until then, I feel refreshed and ready to write. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment