Monday, November 15, 2010

Changing Genres

Can a writer change genres and still succeed?

This question's been on my mind a lot lately because I'm trying to do it, sort of.  I say sort of for a few reasons. First, I'm not a mainstream published author.  I'm self-published.  Second, I'm going from contemporary adult romance to young adult romance, which doesn't seem like a true change of genres.

It's not like I'm trying to pull a James Patterson and go from crime to romance novels, which he does really well by the way.  However, I am trying to go from romance to romantic fantasy.  My new novel features some characters and themes that are likely to stir controversy.  Those of you who know me know that I'm not shy about tackling tough subjects, but those subjects have always been gritty and true to life.  At the moment, I'm working my tail off to try and secure an agent for a work that has a strongly religious theme and features Satan and his children as sympathetic characters. How's that for controversial?

While I believe in my work and feel it's a well told story, I know it's sure to strike a chord with some. It will be especially difficult for my few fans that have come to expect a different kind of story from me.

So I say again, can a writer succeed at changing genres?  I sure hope so because I'm giving it a good try.

No comments:

Post a Comment